Green Fields of France:
Words & Music by Eric Bogle http://www.windbourne.com/ebogle/
Dedicated to John
and the soldiers of the
147 Special Forces Security
- Bill Masino Ė Lead vocal
- Kathleen Mullaly Masino - Harmony vocals
- Colin O'Brian - Acoustic Guitar
The guitar & lead vocal for this song
was recorded in one take. It was so spirited and powerful that first time.
It gives the listener a good feel for hear the
passion in Billís dynamics live performances.
- 1) Well, how do you do young Willie
- Do you mind if I sit hear down by your
- And rest for a while Ďneath the warm
- Iíve been working all day and Iím
- I can see by your gravestone you were
- when you joined the great fallen in
Well I hope
you died quick, and I hope you died clean,
McBride, was it slow and obscene?
- Did they beat the drum slowly,
did they play the fife lowly,
- did they sound the death march, as they
lowered you down?
- Did the bands play the last post and
- Did the pipes play the flowers of the
- 2.) And did you leave a wife or sweetheart
- In some faithful heart is your memory
- Although you died back in nineteen
- In some faithful heart are you forever
- Or are you a stranger without even a
- Enclosed now forever behind a glass
- In an old photograph torn, battered and
- And faded to yellow in a brown leather
- 3.) Now see how the
sun shines oíer the green field of France
Thereís a warm summer breeze makes the
red poppies dance,
And see how
the sun shines from under the clouds
Thereís no gas or barbed wire, thereís
no guns firing now.
But here in this graveyard itís still
The countless white crosses in mute
To manís blind difference to his
To a whole generation who were butchered
- 4.) Now young Willie McBride, I canít help
Do all those who lie here know why did
And did they believe when they answered
Did they really believe that this war
would end wars.
Well the sorrow, the suffering, the
glory the pain,
The killing, the dying they
were all done in vain
Willie McBride it all happened again
And again and again and again and again.